venerdì 14 maggio 2010

a minute of mayhem

Mr Malcom McLaren died on the 8th of april this year at 64.
This controversial and bizarre man proclaimed himself the inventor of punk and I believe he was. In the early 70s he briefly managed the New York Dolls at the beginning of their career and later he was the brilliant impresario of Johnny Rotten, Steve Jones, Paul Cook and Sid Vicious aka the Sex Pistols.
Some say he was a genius, some an impostor, others say he was just a marketing prodigy. I think he was all these things together, surely his great merit is to have brought Punk to a wider audience.
His funeral was held in London on April 22nd and his family asked to observe the funeral procession (the black horse-drawn coffin was painted with the words"too fast to live too young to die") and to observe "a minute of Mayhem"in his honor at noon. The precise instructions were "put on your fav record and let it RIP".
I'm really sorry I missed Mr McLaren's procession in Camden lock, but in my own small way I decided to play out loud the Buzzcocks ever fallen in love....
RestInPeace dear old genius bugger!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento